Insurance & Reinsurance Disputes
We act for insureds, cedants, insurers, reinsurers and brokers in pursuing and defending both insurance and reinsurance claims including claims against brokers. We are currently acting for insurance carriers in a variety of matters involving trade credit, political risk, contract frustration, confiscation and expropriation. Our representation has involved both coverage and recovery.
Typical cases in which our lawyers have been involved include acting for:
- Various trade credit and political risk insurers (based in Bermuda, the USA and the UK) including various Lloyd’s led underwriters and members of the Companies Market in significant LCIA arbitrations;
- A significant Peruvian insurer in claims against the London market reinsurers arising out of bankers’ blanket bond fidelity policies;
- A significant Latin American insurer in negligence claims against the London market producing and placing brokers;
- Insurers in the Far East who have had claims against London-based reinsurers arising out of casualty coverage relating to very high-value manufacturing plants;
- Insureds in respect of a variety of coverage disputes including jewellers’ block policies;
- A large mobile telephone company in a dispute relating to subrogation issues with its marine cargo insurers and a logistics provider; and
- United Insurance Brokers Ltd in their high profile claim against Marsh Ltd.