Dan is a Senior Associate at Cooke, Young & Keidan with broad experience across the full spectrum of commercial disputes.
Dan has advised high net worth individuals, major corporates, retail and investment banks, financial services providers, private equity funds, sports clubs and record labels. His experience includes international and domestic arbitrations, banking and financial services litigation, IT and telecoms disputes, fraud claims, obtaining and resisting freezing injunctions, shareholder actions, procurement challenges, judicial review and a wide variety of contractual disputes.
He has particular experience of large-scale bribery and corruption matters and disputes involving parties from China, Russia and other CIS countries, as well as asset tracing claims and enforcement proceedings in offshore jurisdictions (such as the BVI and Cayman) and around the globe. He has litigated in the High Court of England and Wales (both in London and other regional district registries), the Court of Appeal and UK Supreme Court, and has acted in numerous LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL and other ad hoc arbitrations.
He also regularly advises clients involved in expert determinations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Dan’s recent cases include:
• successful appeals in the Court of Appeal and UK Supreme Court over the proper construction of LMA standard terms;
• LCIA arbitrations concerning energy disputes in Africa;
• oil and gas expert determination;
• multi-jurisdictional litigation for a Russian telecommunications services provider;
• advising a Chinese heavy industry conglomerate on claims for large-scale fraud;
• acting for a German credit card payments provider to successfully recover losses from a multi-million pound internet ticketing scam perpetrated by fraudsters in the run up to the 2008 Beijing Olympics;
• investment treaty claims; and
• asset recovery and cross-border enforcement in Africa, China, Russia and other CIS states.
Dan read law at Bristol University and qualified as a solicitor in 2007. He worked for Osborne Clarke and SJ Berwin (now King & Wood Mallesons), as a senior associate, before joining CYK in April 2016.
Dan spent six months on secondment at Zurich Financial Services. He regularly writes articles for the legal and trade press. He also carries out pro bono work, including on behalf of the Citizens Advice Bureau at the Royal Courts of Justice.
Tael One Partners Ltd v Morgan Stanley & Co International plc  UKSC 12 (on appeal from Court of Appeal)
Morgan Stanley & Co International plc v Tael One Partners Ltd  EWCA Civ 473 (on appeal from High Court)
Tael One Partners Ltd v Morgan Stanley & Co International plc  EWHC 1858 (Comm)
Cube Lighting and Industrial Design Ltd v Afcon Electra Romania SA  EWHC 2565 (Ch)
Wirecard Bank AG & Another v Scott & Others  EWHC 451 (QB)
Member of the Law Society of England and Wales, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG), ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) and Russia and CIS Arbitration Network (RCAN).