Kajal has been an Associate at Cooke, Young & Keidan since May 2015, having qualified as a solicitor in October 2013. She undertakes high value commercial dispute resolution work and her broad experience encompasses specialist areas including civil fraud, banking and finance litigation, partnership and shareholder disputes and technology disputes. Kajal is also expert at resolving her cases through mediation and other forms of ADR.
Some of the notable cases on which Kajal has worked include ground-breaking litigation relating to financial product mis-selling and benchmark manipulation, advising the UK subsidiary of an international software development company in a complex, multi-million pound dispute in the Technology and Construction Court and advising an international transport company in relation to the termination of a multi-party complex supply agreement. She also acted for an international hotel franchisor in an arbitration against a franchisee for monies owed as a result of a misreporting of gross room revenue.
Kajal’s clients include high net worth individuals, large multinationals, UK SMEs and hedge funds.
Kajal was nominated for the prestigious “Young Lawyer of the Year” award at the 2014 annual Lawnet awards, reflecting her hard work, considered advice and the respect afforded to her by clients.
Kajal studied Law at King’s College, London where she graduated with a First Class LLB (Hons). Following this, Kajal went on to study the Legal Practice Course at BPP, Holborn where she was awarded a Distinction and undertook her training at a highly regarded regional West London firm qualifying into the litigation department of that firm in October 2013.
In parallel with her studies, Kajal undertook pro-bono work which included advising prison inmates at a high security facility on various civil issues, through the “Streetlaw” project. More recently she spearheaded an initiative in West London to allow young professionals the opportunity to network with their peers.
• Acting for a number of UK based property developers in relation to financial product mis-selling, complex derivatives, structured products and LIBOR fixing (including the high profile case of Property Alliance Group v RBS, which generated a significant number of reported judgments as well as considerable media interest).
• Advising the Governors of a public education institution in relation to claims made by a UK bank arising out of derivative products entered into.
• Defending an unfair prejudice petition on behalf of the majority shareholders and directors of a service company for an online pharmacy.
• Advising a publically listed company in relation to potential claims and losses resulting from FX manipulation in emerging market currencies
• Acting for the UK subsidiary of an international software development company in a complex, multi-million pound dispute in the Technology and Construction Court.
• Advising the directors of a private limited company in an investigation initiated by the Insolvency Service in relation to fiduciary and directors’ duties.
• Day-to-day management of a complex multi-party product liability dispute involving cross-border supply and distribution agreements.
• Advising the CEO of an international beer brewery in relation to a complex international share swap transaction.
Kajal is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales, the Junior Lawyers’ Division, the Junior London Solicitors Litigation Association and the International Association of Young Lawyers.
Gujarati (to an intermediate level) and German (to a basic level).