Philip is a solicitor advocate and a founder member of Cooke, Young and Keidan. He specialises in international and domestic high-value commercial dispute resolution, including: litigation, arbitration and adjudication.
Philip’s experience includes international trade (the sale and carriage of goods), product liability, banking, insurance, shareholder and corporate disputes. Philip acts for a wide selection of blue-chip companies and financial institutions involved in these industries and for various high net worth individuals. He has wide experience of international arbitration under LCIA, ICC, Uncitral and LMAA rules.
Philip read law at the University of Durham. He trained at the London office of Hill Taylor Dickinson. He then spent over eight years working at global law firm Baker & McKenzie LLP in their dispute resolution departments in both London and Hong Kong. Philip then became a partner in Masseys LLP, a specialist dispute resolution law firm. In January 2009 Philip co-founded Cooke, Young and Keidan.
The Legal 500 says “the fearless Philip Young is an impressive litigator”.
Chambers & Partners’ Guide to the English Legal Profession says “Philip inspires great faith amongst his clients who sing his praises” (2012 edition), “a hugely talented lawyer” Philip “brings a passion and energy to his work that is quite rare” (2011 edition) and “Philip …impresses the market with his comprehensive advice and detailed approach” and that he is: “a star … because of his constructive approach to issues” (2010 edition).
Philip was also featured as one of The Lawyer magazine’s “Hot 100” for 2013.
Examples of cases that Philip has successfully fought include:
• Kuliarchar Sweater Industries Ltd & Anor v. Frans Maas (UK) Ltd (carriage of goods and wrongful release of goods)
• Shinhan Bank Ltd v. Sea Containers Ltd & Anor (documents against acceptance banking transactions, fraudulent misrepresentation)
• La Positiva & Ors v. R. J. Jessel & Ors (reinsurance, bankers’ blanket bond policies)
• Frans Maas (UK) Ltd v. Habib Bank AG Zurich (banking, performance bonds)
• First Discount Ltd v. Cranston (bills of exchange)
• GMAC Commercial Credit Ltd v. Sandhu & Anor (resisting enforcement of invoice discounting agreement)
• DDD LLC & Zebra Technologies Europe Ltd v. Condor Insurance Ltd (enforcing guarantees and insurance)
• Dumford Trading AG v. OAO Atlantrybflot (resisting enforcement of guarantees)
• C & M Farming Ltd v. Peterson Farms Inc. (arbitration, sale of goods, group of companies doctrine)
• United Insurance Brokers v. Vine & Ors (insurance broking, conspiracy)
• Deutsche Bank AG & Anor v. Highland Crusader Offshore Partners LP & Ors (banking, non-exclusive jurisdiction clauses and anti-suit injunctions)
• the Nina Wang litigation (appointment of receivers over US$5bn company)
• RBS v. Highland Financial Partners LP & Ors (banking, operation of auction and equitable duties, valuation of complex financial products fraud on English Court)
• Graiseley Properties Ltd v Barclays Bank Plc (LIBOR manipulation, interest rate swap mis-selling)
Philip is the Vice Chair of the IIBLP’s European Legal Advisory Council.
Philip is a Freeman of the City of London Solicitors Company. He is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales, the Aviation Club of the UK and the Royal Institution of Great Britain.