“Philip is a solicitor advocate and a founder of CYK. The Legal 500 says ‘the fearless Philip Young is an impressive litigator’, who is ‘very able, highly intelligent and extremely imaginative; he combines pure legal ability with outstanding commercial and strategic judgment’. He specialises in international and domestic high-value commercial dispute resolution.”
Tel: +44(0)20 7148 7802
|Connect on LinkedIn|
Philip’s experience includes international trade (the sale and carriage of goods), product liability, banking, insurance, fraud, shareholder and corporate disputes. Philip acts for a wide selection of blue-chip companies and financial institutions involved in these industries and for various high net worth individuals. He has extensive experience of international arbitration under LCIA, ICC, Uncitral and LMAA rules.
Philip has successfully led many groundbreaking cases. These include the first major LIBOR manipulation case (Graiseley Properties Ltd v Barclays Bank Plc), the invention of a new kind of injunction to pursue global cyber fraudsters (CMOC Sales & Marketing Ltd v Persons Unknown) and what is believed to be the first case in English legal history in which a major British bank lost a substantial judgment due to the uncovering of its own fraud (RBS v Highland Financial Partners LP).
Philip read law at the University of Durham. He trained at the London office of Hill Taylor Dickinson. He then spent over eight years working at global law firm Baker & McKenzie LLP in their dispute resolution departments in both London and Hong Kong. Philip then became a partner in Masseys LLP, a specialist dispute resolution law firm. In January 2009 Philip co-founded Cooke, Young and Keidan.
What the legal directories say
The Legal 500 describes Philip as a “leading individual” for commercial litigation and says “the fearless Philip Young is an impressive litigator”, who is “very able, highly intelligent and extremely imaginative; he combines pure legal ability with outstanding commercial and strategic judgment”; and that he is “a highly talented lawyer who is clever and pugnacious, and someone clients want on their side in a fight.”
Chambers & Partners’ Guide to the English Legal Profession says Philip Young is “a brilliant litigator” and “an extremely intellectual lawyer who is prepared to run with some very novel and innovative ideas to great effect” and that “he fights his client’s corner very hard”.
Philip was also featured as one of The Lawyer magazine’s “Hot 100” for 2013.
Philip is a Freeman of the City of London Solicitors Company. He is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales and the Royal Institution of Great Britain.
Cases of Note
- Frans Maas (UK) Ltd v. Habib Bank AG Zurich: (banking, performance bonds).
- CMOC Sales & Marketing Ltd v. Persons Unknown & Ors (fraud, worldwide freezing injunction, international money laundering, asset tracing globally).
- Vald. Nielsen Holding A/S & Anor v Baldorino & Ors (security for costs, fraud).
- Campbell v. Campbell (partnership, breach of fiduciary duty, duty to account).
- Blomqvist v. Zavarco Plc & OFSB (rectification of shareholder register).
- Graiseley Properties Ltd v Barclays Bank Plc (LIBOR manipulation, interest rate swap mis-selling competition law).
- RBS v. Highland Financial Partners LP & Ors (banking, operation of auction and equitable duties, valuation of complex financial products fraud on English Court).
- The Nina Wang litigation (appointment of receivers over US$5bn company).
- Deutsche Bank AG & Anor v. Highland Crusader Offshore Partners LP & Ors (banking, non-exclusive jurisdiction clauses and anti-suit injunctions).
- United Insurance Brokers v. Vine & Ors (insurance broking, conspiracy).
- C & M Farming Ltd v. Peterson Farms Inc. (arbitration, sale of goods, group of companies doctrine).
- Dumford Trading AG v. OAO Atlantrybflot (resisting enforcement of guarantees).
- DDD LLC & Zebra Technologies Europe Ltd v. Condor Insurance Ltd (enforcing guarantees and insurance).
- GMAC Commercial Credit Ltd v. Sandhu & Anor (resisting enforcement of invoice discounting agreement).
- First Discount Ltd v. Cranston (bills of exchange)
- La Positiva & Ors v. R. J. Jessel & Ors (reinsurance, bankers’ blanket bond policies).
- Shinhan Bank Ltd v. Sea Containers Ltd & Anor (documents against acceptance banking transactions, fraudulent misrepresentation).
- Kuliarchar Sweater Industries Ltd & Anor v. Frans Maas (UK) Ltd (carriage of goods and wrongful release of goods).