Our team has expertise in assisting and advising LLPs, LPs, GPs, members and partners in high value and complex disputes. We also work at the cutting edge of funds disputes in the financial and technology sectors, acting for funds, VCs, partners and entrepreneurs (CYK Tech website).
The Legal 500 ranks CYK as a leading firm in partnership law, Lydia Danon is described as an “excellent technical lawyer with an understanding of what is important to her clients” and Sinead O’Callaghan “offers sage advice and is very perceptive.”
We advise and act in disputes relating to:
- fund performance and claims of mismanagement
- fund overvaluation
- investor/founder disputes
- conflicts of interest and allocation of investment opportunities and expenses
- team moves or mergers
- enforcing or resisting restrictive covenants
- forced retirement
- the de-equitisation of members or partners
- disputes relating to “good leaver” and “bad leaver” provisions
- the winding up or dissolution of partnerships
- SRA/FCA regulatory issues arising out of partner/member misconduct (FCA website)
We can also advise on disputes that may arise from the increasing use of special purpose acquisition vehicles (SPACs) to secure investment.
Disputes in this sphere are often sensitive in nature, and we understand that the parties are sometimes keen to avoid the expense and disruption of court litigation or arbitration proceedings. As a result we often engage in negotiation or mediation to find confidential, swift and commercial solutions, which enable the parties to continue to work together or go their separate ways.
We focus on defending our client’s interests, as well as protecting reputations, improving prospects and managing financial exposure. Where an early compromise is not possible, as dispute specialists, we are experienced in bringing and defending both English High Court and arbitration proceedings. We are experienced in international and multiple jurisdictional partnership disputes.